Thursday, February 19, 2015

Book Review of the Month: February 2015

So in case you haven't read my profile yet, I'll let you know now: I love books. Ever since I learned to read, I've had my nose in a book. Not a bad way to spend my time, in my opinion. As a result of my reading habits, I happen to read well above my grade level, have an expansive vocabulary, and excel in English class. And, as an added bonus, I have a extensive list of excellent books to recommend to you! I'll be starting a "Book Review of the Month" post, but if I find something really great along the way, there might be an extra review thrown in the mix!

February's book of the month is actually a series: The Luxe series by Anna Godbersen. This is a collection of four books (The Luxe, Rumours, Envy, and Splendor), set in the late 1890's in Manhattan. 

Now, in case you don't remember much from your U.S. History class, or in case you never had one, the late 1800s was an era known as the Gilded Age. The term "gilded" means for something- usually a base metal or wood- to be covered in gold, and this era reflects that. It was one that looked great on the surface, but hid some really nasty stuff, like poverty and corruption. (Fun fact: the name was coined by American author Mark Twain!)

The books follow the lives of some of New York's favorite families, long-standing members of the highest level of New York society.
There's the Hollands, chiefly the "prim and proper" Elizabeth Holland, and her younger, wilder, and more Romantic sister, Diana Holland. 
There's the Hayeses, well, Hayes, mainly... Penelope. While her parents are somewhat involved, and her "prodigal" brother shows up some in book two, Penelope is the real queen here. 
There's the Schoonmakers, particularly bachelor Henry Schoonmaker, although his father and stepmother play relatively important roles as well. 

And then there's the characters of the lower classes who have no less important roles to play: 
Will Keller, the Hollands' carriage driver. 
Lina (short for Carolina) Broud and her sister Claire: maidservants for the Hollands. 
Tristan: a boy who works at a department store, Lord & Taylors, who picks up a fairly important role further along in the story. 

These books are full of romance, scandals, lies, rumors, jealousy, and historical references. You can't even describe it as a "love triangle"- it's more of a love web. Actually the whole thing is one big, twisted, web of love and lies... and also a little bit of death. 

And it's wonderful. 

I read the second book, Rumors, in a day and a half. I laughed, I cried, and I couldn't put it down, and I blew through the others nearly as fast. The ending may not have been exactly what I'd hoped for, but it was brilliant all the same. 

I highly recommend these books to anyone who likes historical fiction, romance, mystery, or any combination thereof. 

If you have a favorite book or any suggestions for what next month's book review should be on, leave them in comments! 

No comments:

Post a Comment