Monday, February 29, 2016

Book Review of the Month: Cinder


Hello readers, it's leap day and I'm finally posting February's book review of the month! I apologize for it taking so long, but I'll admit, I only finished the book yesterday. Oops. 

This month's book is Cinder by Marissa Meyer. I know, I know, I said I would try to review something other than fairy tales all the time. But hear me out, this one is sci-fi. Sci-fi Cinderella? Sounds weird, doesn't it? It kind of is, but in a good way. 

Cinder is not your typical Cinderella story. Yes, there's a prince and a ball and a wicked stepmother, that's all still there. But Cinder is spunky, caring, and rebellious at times, not to mention the fact that she's cyborg. 

Yes, cyborg.

This story really isn't one about a girl who is stuck in some form of slavery until a fairy godmother and a prince save her. It's about disease and loss, politics and alliances, marriage and war. 

The book is set in the distant future, sometime after World War IV, somewhere in Asia. Countries have reformed into different alliances and commonwealths, and technology has definitely changed. Androids, hover cars, ID chips, and cyborgs are normal. However, there is one thing technology hasn't fixed. 

The world is suffering from a new plague, letumosis, and there is no antidote. You catch it, you die. Tests have been done to try to find a cure, but all have failed. More and more people die every day. 
And if a plague isn't enough, there's also a race of magical beings called Lunars living on the moon threatening to wage war on the entire earth if the peace negotiations don't go their way. 

That sounds like a fairy tale, doesn't it? 

As you all know, I love fairy tales and fantasy novels. I do like sci-fi, but it's usually not my favorite. This book, however, was fantastic. I could hardly put it down, even when I was so tired I could barely keep my eyes open. I honestly wasn't planning to get into the whole series just yet, but I can't wait to read the next book. 

I would definitely recommend this book if you like fairy tales, fantasy, science fiction, dystopian, or almost anything, really. 

If you have book suggestions, or if you've read (or are reading) any of the books I've reviewed, feel free to leave me a comment let me know what you think! And don't forget to submit some Q&A questions for my upcoming posts- see my last post for more details!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for this review! I have had this book on my reader for months - once I finish the other three books I am in the middle of, I will have to start on this one! :)

    ReplyDelete