Thursday, April 30, 2015

Book Review of the Month: April

Okay, I have a confession to make: I haven't finished a single new book this month. I started several, checked out a few from the library, but never finished one. I know, shocker. This month has been quite busy, and I already know next month will be busy as well. So, this month's review will cover one (or three!) of my old favorites: the Inkheart trilogy.

This trilogy, consisting of Inkheart, Inkspell, and Inkdeath by Cornelia Funke, aren't exactly new books, and there's been at least one movie, so you might already know a bit of the story. 

In case you don't, the books tell the story of a girl named Meggie and her father, Mo, a bookbinder. He has such a way with words that he can bring stories to life (literally!) with just his voice. Inkheart, in fact, is the name of the book-within-the-book that Mo has sword never again to read aloud. 

Besides the fantastical cast, the magical setting, and the intriguing concept, I loved reading books about main characters who loved books as much as I do. The magic in the Inkheart trilogy is not just about fantastic and mysterious characters and places. Above all, the magic of the Inkheart trilogy is the magic of books. 

I remember one line in particular that describes how reading a book captured all the little details of where you were, what was happening, who you were. I still remember where I was when I read that line: sitting in the elementary school cafeteria eating lunch and reading, back in the 5th or 6th grade. 

If you love fantasy or even romance books, the Inkheart trilogy would be a good choice for you. But even more so, if you love books like I do, then you will understand and appreciate and love the magic of these books. 

No comments:

Post a Comment