Wednesday, December 30, 2015

2016: New and Improved?

Alright, so posting once a week didn't happen. Sorry about that, and if you've stuck around this long despite all of my failed promises to write, thank you. And also wow, your loyalty is impressive. You are a true Hufflepuff, my friend, and you should take that as a compliment.

With the new year now just two days away, the holiday season is drawing to a dramatic close, complete with parties, fireworks, ball drops, and parades. But when all of that fades away, we're left with simply a new year. Scientifically, it's only the start of another of earth's revolutions around the star we call the sun. But to us, it's a fresh start, another chance.

In order to take advantage of this sparkling new year, full of hope and possibility, many of us will make New Year's resolutions. Maybe to lose weight, or make better grades, or save money, or actually keep up with a blog for more than one post a month. And, undoubtedly, many of us will find ourselves in February, wondering where all of that resolve went.

And that's why I'm not making any resolutions this year. Or last year, or probably next year. We feel pressured to make some sort of change in our lives because it's a new year. We think we have to be a new version of ourselves, too.

But new doesn't always mean improved. That's not to say that 2016 can't be better than 2015, it certainly can, and sometimes change is great. But I think many of us will know and agree that change isn't always for the better.

I think I had a great 2015, honestly. I've got great friends, great family, a great new house. I've read some wonderful new books and some old favorites. I've learned new things, and reviewed things I already knew. I've met new people and formed new relationships, and my best friend is sticking around for a tenth year. (I think. Honestly I've lost count.) There were plenty of new things this year that were fantastic, but there were plenty of things that stayed the same, and they were no less wonderful for not being "new and improved."

So while maybe I do need to maintain good grades next semester (three AP classes- yikes!),  or save money for my trip next new year, or make a goal of improving my ACT score, or actually post on this blog once in a while, those things aren't what's going to make 2016 a better year.

Appreciating the things I already have and love, as well as accepting and adjusting to new things that may come my way, is what will make this year fun. You know, maybe you've heard that old kids' song, "Make new friends, but keep the old. One is silver and the other's gold."

New things are great, but let's not forget to appreciate what we have.

No comments:

Post a Comment